All posts by ColSprMed

Overview of the Divorce Process

Overview of divorce process:

Colorado has what is called a facilitative divorce process. This means that the process allows parties who are not represented by attorneys to be guided through the divorce process by court facilitators, magistrates and judges. The process begins by paying the filing fee and filing at least two documents, 1 – the Case Information Sheet and 2 – the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage.

Shortly after beginning the process, whichever party elects to be the Petitioner will receive a Case Management Order. The Case Management Order will instruct the Petitioner to do a number of things including providing a copy of the Case Management Order to the Co-petitioner/Respondent. The Case Management Order will also either include the date of the Initial Status Conference or order that the Petitioner call the court to obtain an Initial Status Conference date. The Petitioner is required to notify the other party of the date of the Initial Status Conference.

Each party is required to complete a Sworn Financial Statement, a Certificate of Disclosure (certifying that the parties have exchanged certain financial records) and, if there are children of the marriage under age 19, a parenting class for which you will be given a certificate to file with the court. These documents are expected to be filed with the court prior to the Initial Status Conference.

At the Initial Status Conference a court facilitator, Magistrate or (rarely) Judge will give the parties an overview of the rest of the process. No contested Permanent Orders hearing will be scheduled until the parties attempt mediation.

The goal of mediation is to attempt to resolve all the issues between the parties via a facilitated agreement. If full agreements are reached the Parties are required to write up the agreements into two documents, the Separation Agreement and Parenting Plan (if there are children under age 19). Once those are filed with the court, the court will schedule a Non-contested Permanent Orders hearing to approve the documents and, if approved, enter a Decree of Dissolution of Marriage and, if necessary, a Support Order.

Our Services:

At Colorado Springs Mediation, we offer essentially two services. The first is mediation. Our clients find our mediation services helpful for number reasons including our over 25 years of experience which has given us potential solutions that people going through divorce for the first time may not ever think of. The Second service we offer is the preparation of almost all the paperwork you will need to file with the court including the Case Information Sheet, Petition, Separation Agreement, Parenting Plan, proposed Decree of Dissolution of Marriage, proposed Support Order and Child Support Worksheet. That leaves the parties responsible for only each of their Sworn Financial Statements, Certificatess of Disclosure and Parenting Class Certificates. The paperwork we prepare is emailed to the parties for you to review, sign, have notarized, and file with the court.

Our Fees:

Our fees are usually significantly less than 10% of what it would cost to litigate the divorce using lawyers. We charge a non-refundable $200 set up fee, due at the time the mediation is scheduled, which includes a review of your information and situation by a trained mediator and the mediator’s preparation for the mediation. This usually saves at least an hour during the mediation. Then each hour of mediation is then just $200 per hour with only a one-hour minimum. Over 90% of the time, we reach full agreements in less than three hours. Paperwork preparation is just $297.

What to do if a partner doesn’t co-operate for divorce mediation?

My parents are getting divorced and have just received the decree nisi today.

My mum is filing it against my dad for reasons of unreasonable behaviour, and he is trying everything in his power to drag the whole thing out for as long as possible -.-

Now because they don’t have endless amounts of money, my mum wanted to try mediation (which my dad agreed to – even his solicitor said his agreement is in writing) but my dad hasn’t contacted the mediator back when the mediator has sent him a few letters and such, so I was just wondering if my mum can take some sort of action to physically make him go to the mediator to sort finances etc out as she doesn’t really want to make it as expensive going through the solicitor?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
I should probably say that my mum is the one with all the money – hence why my dad wants to drag the divorce out.

So he won’t care if my mum has to go to the solicitors as all the money that he spends, is my mum’s anyhow :/ he’s a dick basically..
Wendy – I will not ‘stay out of this’ as everything my idiot dad does affects the whole family, and I am the only one there to help my mum as he backstabs everyone and lies -.-

Yes I am in the UK, I can tell her your info and see what she says if she speaks to her solicitor.

Gary – No I/she didn’t mean that she did have control over him (believe me he does what he likes!) but he cheats, goes out to places and says he’s going to a friend’s (when he’s not), doesn’t help around the house (just sits on his pc 24/7), doesn’t/hasn’t cared for me or my brother, spends endless amounts of money on going out, buying expensive items and alcohol with my mum’s money..seriously i could go on..but the other thing is my mum can’t even take the money out of the bank account as it is used for the mortgage and she can’t change the joint names to just hers as she would need his signature (even though he changed one of their joint accounts to just his name cos his "friend" set it up or something)
But yes

Sounds like you are in the U.K.? If it is like the States ( a lot is) Mum could actually file a motion to compel mediation.

In divorce and child custody cases – do the opinions of the children have any weight in the ruling?

If the children, say, have a strong liking towards one parent – or have a strong dislike toward a stepparent – do their objections have any weight in court rulings in deciding child custody? Or is it all based on income, possessions, all calculative?

It all depends on their age, the judge in the case will consider any input and place credence on the persons desire depending on their age a maturity.}{

Where can I find free divorce mediation?

I live in Cypress, Texas right near Houston. My zip code is 77429. The divorce should be clean & not too difficult so I’d like to avoid a lawyer if possible. Is there some way my wife and I can agree to everything, have it notarized and just be done?

If you and your wife agree on everything as you say, you don’t need mediation. You can get the necessary paperwork from your county courthouse, and complete it yourself. (There’ll be small fees to "file" the paperwork.)

You can also get forms at for this.

Be aware, however, that most jurisdictions want specific information depending upon your property, debts, and children, if any. For example, a part of most divorce filings is a "parenting plan", specific to the needs of the children.

You’ll also probably have specific requirements to meet to qualify for a divorce, e.g. living in separate domiciles for one year. (States do not encourage divorce, and always hope for reconcilation, so they often want to see that there’s a legitimate reason for the divorce itself.)

Good luck to you both.

Can the mediator in a child custody mediation grant the divorce at the custody mediation?

My wife and i are not divorced yet and the judge said he would not grant the divorce until custody is established. We are going to mediation this month and i was wondering if the mediator can grant the divorce in mediation even if we don’t come to an agreement concerning the child custody? Or would we have to wait until our final court date with the judge?

You must see it because it has helped more than 50,000 people In 77 Countries from divorce and the rejection of love. More Detail

How can a Canadian citizen Father take custody of his child where mother is with kids in the USA?

Hi I am Canadian, I married an american women and have a daughter, I am about to undergo a divorcing process both my ex and we have both lost jobs. I have better chances of getting a new job in canada. should i file from canada or from colorado? …what are the chances if my daughter is in colorado that i can get the child custody if i am in Canada? what can i do? does it mark a difference if my soon ex has bipolar issues and pot dependency?

Drug use and mental illness are always factors the court considers when granting custody, you can file in either country and once the custody is granted US authorities will turn your child over to you based upon the order whichever court orders it.~